University of Iowa college credit
Across the University of Iowa, innovation and entrepreneurship are acknowledged as crucial to young people's future success. That's why the university's Jacobson Institute, creator of BizInnovator Startup, and the Tippie College of Business have partnered to offer high school students college credit. BizInnovator Startup students who qualify can earn three transferable college credits. These students demonstrate that they understand the concepts, have gained the 21st century skills they'll need to succeed and are ready for the next step in life.
Students: High school students may qualify for the college credit if they complete an Entrepreneurship course in which BizInnovator Startup concepts have been integrated and they pass the University of Iowa proficiency exam. Those who pass are eligible for three University of Iowa ENTR:1010 Exploring Entrepreneurship credits for a reduced course fee of $150 from the John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center, a part of the Tippie College of Business.
- Teachers: Must be BizInnovator Startup certified and have an active BizInnovator Startup license for students to sit for the exam.
Earning the BizInnovator Startup credits is a significant achievement of which students, teachers, and families can be proud. Only some students pass the proficiency exam and earn this opportunity. Congratulations to the students who achieve this honor!
Benefits of obtaining the credit
There are many reasons why earning college-level credit for the introductory entrepreneurship class is beneficial. They include:
- Sense of achievement. An official transcript from the University of Iowa, a Tier 1 research institution, demonstrates the student's ability to do college-level work while still in high school.
- Credits may help a student stand out for college admissions and scholarship applications.
- Credits are transferable to most colleges and universities, and may reduce a student's college course load and tuition dollars spent.
College Credit FAQ
If an educator is BizInnovator Startup certified and is licensed to teach business or marketing courses, the educator is able to offer college credit. At the end of the high school entrepreneurship course, high school students may sit for an online University of Iowa proficiency exam.
To schedule a proficiency exam, simply fill out and submit the exam request form. Jacobson Institute staff will schedule the online exam, and you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with instructions on how students access the exam at the appointed time.
Students who score 70% or higher on the exam and hold junior/senior status are eligible to purchase college credits at a reduced rate. After students have taken the University of Iowa exam, educators will receive an email with test results for their students. Students and their families also will be notified of their eligibility by email and letter.
Qualified students will receive an email with details about payment and registration. Total cost for the three Tippie College of Business credits is $150.
To transfer college credits, students need a copy of their University of Iowa transcript to give to the college they will attend. If you'd like to determine before purchase whether credits will transfer, contact the registrar’s office at that specific college to inquire.
University of Iowa transcripts: BizInnovator Startup student information is processed by University of Iowa Admissions Office three times per school year (April 1, June 30, and Nov. 1), dependent upon the form/payment submission date. University of Iowa transcripts will be ready to order in June, September, and January, respectively. Ordering a transcript before the student is processed will result in a blank document and will require you to reorder. To ensure this does not happen, follow the guidelines below:
- Form and payment submitted July 1 – Nov. 1: Student information will be processed by admissions Nov. 15, and transcript will be ready to order in January.
- Form and payment submitted payment Nov. 1 – April 1: Student information will be processed by admissions April 15, and transcript will be ready to order in June.
- Form and payment submitted April 1 – June 30: Student information will be processed by admissions July 15, and transcript will be ready to order in September.
When transcripts are ready, a follow-up email will come from email@example.com with instructions on how to order a copy from the University of Iowa Registrar's Office. The Jacobson Institute does not provide transcripts.